Ah shrimp…..my favorite little prawns. Or are they crustaceans? Well, whatever you call them, I just love these little things. I think they are something that you either love or hate. Or love but can’t eat like my dad. Poor guy. He became allergic to shellfish just a few years ago, but loves shrimp.
I think I have always loved shrimp. I can remember going to a restaurant when I was younger called Zeke’s. They had all you can eat cold boiled shrimp. They would bring out bowls of them to you and you could eat as much as you wanted. It was amazing!
They aren’t loved by everyone in my household, though, but three out of the five of us, isn’t bad. Sort of like that meatloaf song (Two out of three ain’t bad). Pairing these little shrimp with some pesto and sun-dried tomatoes is definitely a winning combination.
Joking aside, though, this recipe is really good. It’s so easy to just throw everything together and sit down to a wonderful meal that tastes like it took hours to make. Really, the longest part is waiting for the pasta to cook.
I don’t know about you, but I also LOVE sun-dried tomatoes. Oh my goodness, the smell of them just opening the jar is intoxicating. I just want to climb inside and bathe in it. (haha) Ok, that’s a little weird and maybe I shouldn’t have shared that.
You just can’t go wrong with shrimp, pesto, and sun-dried tomatoes. It will definitely be a saved favorite in your family recipes. I guess my love for shrimp shows by this being my very first blog post. 🙂 Enjoy!
Shrimp pesto pasta with sun-dried tomatoes
- 12 oz thin spaghetti pasta
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed frozen or fresh
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes in oil or water, chopped
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- salt and pepper to taste
- First things first. PREP! Get all of your ingredients together before you start. It will save you so much time.
- In a pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and return to the pot and set aside.
- In a large pan, heat olive oil until just starting to shimmer. Be sure shrimp are dried off and then cook until almost completely pink. Don't cook all the way because they will continue to cook in the sauce.
- Pour cream, chicken broth and sun-dried tomatoes into the pan and simmer for 3-4 minutes allowing the shrimp to cook through.
- Add the drained pasta and pesto and mix until everything is combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, optional.
If you try this, please let me know what you thought. I would love to know how it turned out and if you did anything differently.