Our family loves spaghetti especially with homemade spaghetti sauce with meat. We have it a least once every week or two. It’s one meal that everyone will eat.
When it comes to sauce, you can buy already made sauce but why when it’s truly easy to make your own. There is nothing that compares to the taste of homemade sauce.
For years, I would buy the jarred sauces for my spaghetti. There are some pretty good ones out there and they can be so convenient. But, one time I visited a friend who had sauce simmering on the stove and that changed it for me. The wonderful aroma filled every nook and cranny in her house. Then, I tasted it. Sold! But, I can’t sell it to you over the Internet, it’s something you will just have to try yourself.
If you have always thought about making your own, just give it a try. What do you have to lose? This recipe is the perfect starter recipe for homemade sauce.
I like to double the recipe so I can freeze half. That way I have two meals with the time it took to cook one. Smart, right?
Now, my family always serves the noodles and sauce separate. That way each of us can put as much sauce on our noodles as we’d like. But, I know many people like to mix them all together.
What do you prefer? Do you like your noodles and sauce mixed or do you prefer them separate?
We also tend to drown ours in parmesan cheese but we’ll save that issue for another day. Let’s just say that Kraft is doing well with just our family’s use alone. (haha)
Now, on to the sauce recipe. Here’s what you do.
Homemade spaghetti sauce with meat
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef I used 80/20
- 1 1/2 tsp salt more or less to your taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups onion, roughly chopped yellow or white
- 1 small green bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp minced garlic I used four, but we love garlic!
- 1 28oz cans crushed tomatoes any brand, we prefer Cento
- 1 16oz can tomato sauce
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar more or less to your liking
- In a large pot, break up the ground beef into small pieces and sprinkle with salt and pepper. I like to use a fork to break up the meat. Once it is browned, use a slotted spoon to transfer it to another plate. Drain the grease out of the pot leaving about two tablespoons.
- Add the green pepper, garlic, and onion and cook until all are semi soft.
- Add the cooked ground beef back into the pot and mix everything together. Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomatoe paste, Italian seasoning, and sugar. Mix until all is combined.
- Bring everything to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Leave the pot uncovered and simmer for one hour. Keep an eye on it because it could spurt sauce out as it's simmering. I left a lid on part way.
Give it a try. Bring this to a potluck or just a regular family meal. This homemade spaghetti sauce with meat will impress even the pickiest of eaters.
Do you make your own spaghetti sauce? How do you make yours?