These Christmas Cutout Cookies are so light, buttery, and soft. Seven ingredients that you probably have in your house right now and so easy to make. What are you waiting for?
Every year I make these cookies. They are definitely on my holiday cookie list. They are super easy to make and I love the texture. I prefer cookies that are soft inside and not hard and crispy. If you’re the same this recipe is for you.
I started making these cookies when my kids were young. They would gather around and take turns rolling out the cookies and of course, decorating them. Now that they are all teens, I look back and miss those days. This year I didn’t expect any of them to participate but my daughter surprised me and helped with decorating them. That in itself was a Christmas miracle. (haha) It made my Christmas. 🙂
These Christmas Cutout Cookies are also special because the cookies cutters I use are handed down from my grandmother. Some of them look pretty old and worn so I don’t use those but the others I do. As I’m using them, I can imagine my grandmother doing the same thing with her kids. I bet she never thought back then that one day her granddaughter would be standing in the kitchen using those same cutters with her own kids. 🙂 Here are just a few.
These would be great to make for a cookie decorating party. You can bake them beforehand and then just have all sorts of cookie decorations to add to them. That would be fun. Make some royal icing in different colors, too. We did that this year. I’ll post a picture of our decorated cookies below. It was a quick photo not intended for the blog but I want to share how our homemade cookies turned out. I love them! 🙂 You can just see the creative ideas that were put into each one.
I’m sure that many of you make Christmas Cutout Cookies each year of some sort. What does your family do? Do you have any traditions around making those cookies? If not, start some. It will be a nice tradition to start and make for wonderful memories throughout the years. You can then some day pass on those special cookie cutters to your own kids.
Christmas Cutout Cookies
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Assorted colored sugars, tinted frostings, etc.
- Prep! Gather and prepare all ingredients.
- In a large bowl or standing mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time and vanilla and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt and mix. Slowly add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Chill in the refrigerator for approximately 1 hour or until firm.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thick. Cut out shapes with assorted Christmas cookie cutters.
- Using a floured spatula, carefully lift and transfer the cookies onto a prepared, greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 375° until lightly browned, approximately 8-10 minutes.
- Cool completely on wire racks and decorate.