This homemade taco seasoning has the perfect balance and blend of spices. You will find yourself ditching the store-bought seasoning faster than you can say taco. 😉 It’s super easy to make and requires every day common spices you probably already have in your cabinet.
I can’t tell you how long I had been buying the taco seasoning packets from the grocery store. Every time I made tacos or fajitas, that was my go-to spice packet. That’s all I knew.
That was until I discovered this recipe. I vividly remember the first time I made it and I was blown away. I just couldn’t believe how much it smelled like taco seasoning and the taste, well, it just changed everything for me. Since that day, I have never purchased another store-bought packet again.
Paprika (I use smoked paprika)
Salt (I used regular iodized salt)
Homemade taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Prep! Gather and measure all ingredients.
- Place all measured spices into a bowl and mix together until thoroughly combined.
- Use immediately or store in a dry, sealed container for future use.
- The original recipe calls for red pepper flakes, but I always omit those.
- You can make this in bulk and just store with your other spices so it’s always on hand when you need it.
- I usually double the recipe because I’m feeding a family of five who loves tacos!
- When you are finished browning whatever kind of meat you like, sprinkle the taco seasoning on and let it “brown” a little with the meat before adding any kind of liquid. This will bring out the flavors of the spices.
If you’ve never made your own, please do. You will be so pleasantly surprised and never have the store-bought on your grocery list again. 🙂