Yummy, right? Who doesn’t like donuts? I just love any and all donuts but really don’t eat them too often because they aren’t the healthiest food choice. However, these Homemade Baked Donuts will give you the taste of the unhealthy donuts but being baked makes them a little healthier for you. 😉
I have made baked donuts before but I didn’t use the proper donut pans and so they didn’t turn out very well. They tasted good but the shape, of course, was not like a donut. Since I recently got these pans for Christmas, I decided to make them again.
I used this recipe and they turned out great! I decided to only make the cinnamon sugar and powdered sugar donuts.
- Butter (I used unsalted)
- Vegetable oil
- Granulated white sugar
- Light or Dark brown sugar (I used light)
- Baking powder (check your expiration dates)
- Baking soda (check your expiration dates)
- Salt (I used regular iodized salt)
- Vanilla extract (I used pure extract, not imitation)
- Unbleached all-purpose flour
Pretty common ingredients and things you may already have in your pantry. So, how do you make those yummy little circles? Well, keep on reading and I’ll tell you. 😉
Prep! Gather and measure all of your ingredients.
In a large bowl, beat together the butter, vegetable oil, and sugars until smooth.
Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until combined.
Stir in baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt and vanilla.
Stir in the flour and milk slowly. Begin with flour and then alternate between the flour and the milk until you end with flour. Mix until thoroughly combined. The batter will be thick.
Spoon the batter into the greased donut pans filling them until they are 1/4 inch from the rim.
Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 – 7 minutes before removing from pans and cooling on a cooling rack.
For cinnamon donuts, toss warm donuts in a Ziplock bag with cinnamon and sugar. For powdered sugar donuts, wait for donuts to cool and then toss them in a Ziplock bag with powdered sugar.
Homemade Baked Donuts
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/3 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg, or more if desired
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- Prep! Gather and measure all ingredients
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease the donut pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter, vegetable oil, and sugars until smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix to combine.
- Stir in baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla.
- Stir the flour in a little at a time and alternate between flour and milk. Start with the flour and end with flour. The mixture should be on the thick side when finished.
- Spoon the mixture into the greased pans filling them until they are 1/4 inch from the top rim.
- Bake the donuts for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool for 5 – 7 minutes before removing them from the pans and placing on a cooling rack.
- For the cinnamon sugar donuts, place them into a ziploc bag with a cinnamon/sugar mixture while the donuts are still warm. Shake to coat.
- For the powdered sugar donuts, wait for them to cool and then shake in a ziploc bag filled with powdered sugar.