So, ever since I can remember, I have always made hard-boiled eggs on the stove in a pot of water. I have tried all different methods, too, to make that perfect egg.
I have adjusted the time they cook.
I have tried placing them in water before it boils.
I have tried placing them in the water after it’s boiling.
I have tried turning off the heat as soon as the water boils and let them sit in the hot water for a period of time.
I have also tried boiling them and then removing them to cold water immediately.
I have lucked out and been successful at times, but unsuccessful for the majority.
I happened to come across an article online about cooking hard-boiled eggs in the instant pot. What??? I never thought of that. After doing some more research and reading the reviews about how this makes the perfect hard-boiled egg, I had to add it to my list of tries.
They say that not only does it make the perfect hard-boiled egg, but it’s supposed to be the easiest to peel, too. Ok, NOW you have my attention. There is nothing worse than being stabbed in the fingers by eggshells.
So, I decided to give it a try. Here’s what I did:
Prep! Gather and measure all ingredients.
Insert the steam rack into the bottom of the instant pot. Pour one cup of water into the bottom. Place your eggs on the steam rack without stacking them.
Close and lock the lid and make sure the vent is set to sealing. Power on and press manual. (On my model it’s the Pressure Cook button). Select the time between 5, 6, and 7 minutes depending on your altitude. (You can always test a couple of eggs first to see what the right time would be for you.) Once finished, release the pressure until the valve drops.
Open the lid and immediately transfer the eggs into the bowl of ice water.
You can now include me with everyone that raves about how the instant pot makes the perfect hard-boiled egg. I have tried it myself and seen it with my own eyes.
The eggs come out perfect! The yolk is the perfect shade of yellow. It’s soft and tender and not at all rubbery or green.
The peel came off super easy, too, as you can see in the picture. No eggshell stabbing occurred. 😉
Hard Boiled Eggs – instant pot style
- 1 Instant Pot
- 6 any size eggs
- 1 large bowl of ice water
- Prep! Gather and measure all ingredients.
- Insert the steam rack into the bottom of the instant pot.
- Pour one cup of water on the bottom.
- Place your eggs on the steam rack without stacking them.
- Close and lock the lid and make sure it is set to sealing.
- Power on and press Manual. (On my model it's the Pressure Cook button). Select the time between 5, 6, or 7 minutes depending on your altitude. (You can always test a couple of eggs at a time to see how much time works for you.)
- Once finished, release the pressure until the valve drops.
- Open the lid and immediately transfer the eggs into the bowl of ice water. **Be careful because the steam leftover in the pot is SUPER hot. (Trust me, my arm knows.;))
If you have never tried making these and have an instant pot and eggs, give it a try. You will not be disappointed. If you have tried this and can suggest something even better, please comment below.
I’m all ears. 🙂